Friday 8 November 2013

Aberdeen University Years - Grammar and Creativity

Somehow, I got myself to Aberdeen University.  The route was quite circuitous and doesn't need to be described here.  Coincidentally, having begun a lifetime of drawing with the help of bookmakers' chalk, I was working in Dan Flynn's betting shop when I was accepted on to the undergraduate course, which included English literature, politics and history, but mainly sociology.

From a standing start, having read hardly anything up until that point - I think I finished Black Beauty but gave up on Tom Sawyer - I was obliged to read the entire canon of significant 20th century fiction, as well as important case studies, theories, philosophical underpinnings and the methodologies of sociology.  Quite a task, but it was the perfect time for me to take it on.  (Also, I could do it in between the 'off' at Kempton Park and the results coming in from Uttoxeter.)  And it helped me to develop insights into my coal-mining community background and how people behave in interactions where there is unequal power.  The MA in sociology was followed up by an M.Phil from York University, where Laurie Taylor was the depaertment head.  Gradually, I found myself having clearer thoughts about language and education.

So, after long and varied career changes: a range of office work, university life, some time lecturing, then being a freelance toy designer and maker, children's writer and illustrator, and finally primary school teacher, I now find myself (sadly not being an outstanding rock guitarist) being the author and illustrator of four school books called Grammar and Creativity, published by LCP, with a planned launch date of 25 November 2013.  Yes, in just over two weeks time.

There are a few things I have to say about grammar and creativity, mainly because of misunderstandings on both sides of the traditionalist / romanticist fence.  I'll come to that soon.  Please leave any comments if you have any thoughts of your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Grammar Helpers

Grammar Helpers